A yoga ball, also called a fitness ball, an exercise ball, a stability ball, or a Swiss ball is made of plastic vinyl and elastic, filled with air, and are mostly burst-resistant. Exercising with a yoga ball instead of doing it on a flat surface forces the body to react to the instability of the ball. It demands extra balance, which utilizes more muscles in the body. Furthermore, some people tend to use yoga balls as an alternative for a chair. In this case, answering the question, “What size yoga ball do I need for a chair?” helps you to get the most benefit out of your workout or fitness routine.
Exercise balls can be very beneficial. They are excellent for strengthening your core muscles, either in the gym or at home. The reason behind this is that they are round and, therefore unstable, thus, the exercise ball requires your core muscles to try to constantly stabilize your own body for as long as you are on the ball.
The sizes of exercise balls depend on their diameter in centimeters. Basically, the size of the yoga ball that you need is directly related to your height. To get the right ball size for you, refer to the steps below:
Steps on How to Choose the Right Yoga Ball
- Measure your height . To know what size yoga ball do I need for a chair, you have to measure your height. When using your yoga ball, your knees should be at a right angle with your feet facing forward. To measure your height, stand against a wall with no shoes on and your feet. Use any marker to mark the spot at the top of your head. Using a tape measure can help you get an accurate measurement of your height.
- Choose a ball that fits your height. Use your height measurement to get the yoga ball in an appropriate size. See examples below:
|HEIGHT (IN FEET)||YOGA BALL SIZE|
|5 ft. or shorter||18 in. in diameter|
|5.1 ft. to 5.7 ft.||22 in. in diameter|
|5.8 ft. to 6.1 ft.||26 in. in diameter|
|6.2 ft. or taller||30 in. in diameter|
Other Things to Consider
There are other things that you also have to consider when answering the question, “What size yoga ball do I need for a chair?”. Some of them are the following:
- Choose a bigger ball if you experience back problems or if you have longer legs. A larger ball is also more appropriate for stretching and yoga exercises.
- Take a 26-inch if you plan to use your yoga ball in place of an office chair. Your desk height should be between 29 and 30 inches. Because the ball tends to deflate when you sit on it, choose a ball that has a diameter of at least 4 inches larger than the height of the chair you are replacing.
- Take note of the pressure of your yoga ball. It should be very firm once it’s at its maximum diameter. The firmer the ball, the harder the yoga and exercise will be.
- Examine and try different yoga balls in various sizes before making your final purchase. Make sure that your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle, and your thighs are parallel to the floor when sitting on your yoga ball.
Advantages of Using a Yoga Ball for a Chair
- Ergonomics. Though yoga balls do not offer the same support as desk chairs do, ergonomics still play a vital part since you will need to stabilize your body with the proper posture in order to do the yoga exercise effectively.
- Adjustability. One of the biggest advantages when buying a good office chair is multiple adjustments. It’s a way to ensure that your body will perfectly fit it to get the comfort and support that you need. Knowing exactly what size yoga ball do I need for a chair is essential. Even though you can’t adjust the seat angle or depth, the armrests, or the lumbar support, when using yoga balls, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t use yoga balls as desk chairs. After all, you’ll need to find the right size in order to have a more comfortable and practical exercise experience.
Here are other guides to help you complete your yoga essentials:
Other Uses of Exercise Balls
- Strength training. You can utilize your yoga ball for replacing a weight bench for exercises like pec flies and some triceps-toning work-outs. Lie with the ball strengthening your upper back and head, and work on your arm muscles while supporting your core with your abs, glutes, and legs. You can also use the ball as a bench replacement since it modifies the upper-body moves into full-body exercises.
- Yoga support and stretching. A yoga ball can help you deepen your stretches and support your body in challenging yoga poses. It is a perfect prop to help you master complex yoga poses like the Scorpion. If you’re doing some stretching, recline with your back on the ball. Yoga ball stretching is best done after a long bike ride or a long day sitting in front of your computer.
>Related articles that you may like:
- How Does A Yoga Ball Help Induce Labor?
- How To Patch A Yoga Ball: Tips And Hacks
- The 7 Best Yoga Balls For Stability Sessions
- What Is The Purpose of Yoga?
- How To Get Started With Yoga: Yoga For Beginners
Answering the question, “What size of yoga ball do I need for a chair?” is important to maximize its potential. However, you need to have proper precautions to avoid any untoward injuries. With practice and dedication, you can incorporate yoga while doing your daily office tasks.