Having a rounded shoulder posture has been one of the most common posture problems for many people. Also called the “mom posture,” it is a shoulder position that is more forward than the rest of the body. A lot of people want to have this posture corrected because it is not presentable to look at, and it is terrible for your back and the rest of your body. In this article, I will discuss ways on how to correct rounded shoulder posture.
What is Rounded Shoulder Posture?
Rounded shoulder posture or mom posture pertains to a resting position where the shoulders are arched forward. And, because it is a comfortable position, most people don’t even notice that they are doing it for long periods already.
It is a bit different from slouching because of the length that a person does it. However, just like slouching, there are ways on how to correct rounded shoulder posture.
Causes of Rounded Shoulder Posture
Mom posture is caused by any activity that requires you to look down or slump for an extensive period.
Here are some daily tasks that contribute to having a rounded shoulder posture:
- Using the tablet or the phone,
- Being on the computer for too long,
- Carrying or pushing heavy objects every day,
- Bending over to pick up things
- Gardening for long periods
So, there are a few triggers for having rounded shoulder posture and, having rounded shoulder postures can pose a lot of health risks when you have it.
Now that you know that let’s get on to the ways on how to correct rounded shoulder pose.
How to Correct Rounded Shoulder Posture
If you do have the problem of having rounded shoulders posture, then you need to have it addressed immediately. You can go to the chiropractor and have it looked at, but, judging from the current situation of the world going on a pandemic crisis, why not come up with ways on how to correct rounded shoulder posture at home.
Exercises to Correct Rounded Shoulders Posture
You can do regular exercises to correct rounded shoulders posture or wear rounded shoulder posture braces. However, you might risk causing more problems and strain your muscles when you freely do just any activity you want.
That is why, in this article, I will discuss some yoga exercises to help with your rounded shoulders posture. Yoga is useful not only on how to correct rounded shoulders posture but also to help improve your health.
Backward Shoulder Rolls
You can do this as a warm-up, and I am pretty sure that you are very familiar with this already. You have to roll your shoulders outward and inwards, preferably eight counts each.
- Sit down on a mat or the bed, or any flat platform
- Pull your right leg close to your torso
- Twist your torso towards the lifted leg
- Make sure to take the left arm and put it on the opposite side of your leg.
- Do this while breathing in and out
- Twist towards the other side of your body.
Modified Poses with Reverse Prayer Hands
- Sit down with legs crossed
- Reach backward
- Breathe in,
- Clasp your hands together.
- Breathe in and out while counting
- Be on your knees
- Lean forward
- Put your hands forward and parallel to the floor
- Arch your back outwards and inwards alternately.
- Be on your knees
- Bend down towards your thighs
- Reach for your ankles a
- Breathe in and out
- Lay down
- Arch your back and lift your whole lower body and torso off the ground
- Clasp your hands towards your back
- Make sure that your shoulders are scooted underneath you.
Here are some yoga accessories to improve posture:
Learning how to correct rounded shoulder posture is no easy task. You have to be dedicated to doing the exercises I have just walked you through to make sure that your posture is corrected while you are at home.
See, rounded shoulder posture can not only be detrimental for your image, but it can also prove to be lethal for your health. Slumping or rounder shoulders and back posture can lead to health issues like a slipped disk, or misalignment of the vertebra.
As I said, you can go to the chiropractor to have it checked, or if you are in quarantine and cannot go out of your house, you might as well do the yoga poses that were discussed above to help align those shoulders and make sure that your whole well-being is improved. Find out more about good posture.
>>>Related articles that you may like:
- Can Bad Posture Cause Migraines?
- Can Bad Posture Cause Numbness In The Back?
- How To Fix The Forward Head Posture The Easy Way
- How To Fix Lordosis Posture
- Are Pull-Ups Good For Posture?