Every new yogi, one way or another, would ask me the same question, how many times a week should you do yoga? Well, I would always tell them that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Because whether you are in it to get a stronger core, to be more flexible, or to lose a few pounds, the question always comes back to you. How much are you willing to invest in your yoga journey? And to top it all, a quick yoga fix does not exist.
A lot of people would say that yoga is just another workout, but in my perspective, yoga is more than that. There are a lot of ancient texts that depict yoga in many aspects, and the physical form of yoga only graces the surface. Studies have shown that yoga has a decisive role in maintaining our physical and mental health. That is why, many people are enrolling to Yoga Classes in their locality.
In this article, we will analyze how many times a week should you do yoga for a calmer mind, for physical core strength, and lastly, to decrease weight.
How Many Times A Week Should You Do Yoga For A Calmer Mind?
From a mental standpoint, how many times should you do yoga for a calmer mind? The answer is that yoga should be done daily for a more peaceful mind. It’s easier than you think. If you struggle to focus on any part of the day, I can provide you with a technique that can help you clear your mind and composure. We call this technique the three-minute breathing exercises.
The three-minute breathing exercises have two forms, box breathing, also known as SAMA VRITTI, and alternate-nostril breathing NADI SHODHANA.
Sama Vritti – is a powerful relaxation tool that can help you clear your mind, relax the body and allow you to focus. You can do it anytime and anywhere. All you need is a comfortable position or a chair with your back supported and feet touching the floor. Here are the steps to perform Sama Vritti.
- Close your eyes and breath through your nose. At the same time, you are slowly counting to four. Feel the air rush into your lungs and be in the moment.
- Once air fills your lungs, hold it in, and count another 4 seconds.
- Slowly exhale when you reach 4 seconds.
- Hold that exhale for another 4 seconds.
- Then repeat the steps 1 to 4 for 4-5 minutes until you feel relaxed, calm, and aware.
Nadi Shodhana – is another simple yet powerful technique that puts the mind, body, and emotions at ease. Perfect for times when you are stressed out or worried. A little more complicated than the Sama Vritti but also a lot more anchored to a process. These are the steps to perform Nadi Shodhana:
- Take a comfortable sitting position making sure you sit up straight, and your spine is supported. Now you can make the Mrigi Mudra position which is crossing your legs, in layman’s term, an Indian squat.
- Relax your left palm into your lap and bring your right hand just in front of your face where it touches the nose. Now close your eyes, relax, and count to 4.
- Gently close your right nostril with your right thumb, inhale through your left nostril slowly, then close it with your right ring finger. Open your right nostril and exhale slowly.
- While the right nostril is open, you inhale and close it with your thumb again. Open your left nostril and exhale, completing one cycle.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 around 3 to 5 cycles.
There is a more advanced way of performing these techniques, which will be covered by your yoga journey.
How Many Time A Week Should You Do Yoga For Physical Core Strength?
A lot of people are practicing yoga to increase core strength. Yoga has a lot of physical positions and moves that exercise the core muscles. But to garner these results, yoga will ask for your commitment and dedication. Commitment is the key to answering the question of how many times a week should you do yoga for physical core strength.
Yoga requires a little more long-term dedication than other exercises since you won’t be able to achieve quick, dramatic physical results like other workouts. You should practice yoga as much as you can in a week. A more digestible answer is three times a week or more. By doing this, it will improve your coordination, balance, strength, and flexibility in the shortest amount of time possible.
If you practice consistently, you begin to build a habit. You will then move more intelligently and efficiently in every yoga session. If you practice less than 3 times a week, it is difficult to maintain that level of awareness. Practicing less than three times a week will make you feel like you’ve never progressed, and it can be discouraging.
How Many Times A Week Should You Do Yoga To Decrease Weight?
When you get into yoga, wanting to lose some extra pounds, you have to take note that yoga is more of a subtle practice. But some methods in yoga are more physical than others. The words commitment and dedication will answer how many times a week should you do yoga to decrease weight? Because it is up to you on how much time, sweat, and tears your willing to lay down to achieve results.
An active, more intense style of yoga will help you burn more calories faster. These practices also help you improve your metabolism and develop muscle tone in various parts of the body.
Power Yoga and Vinyasa are good examples of active yoga. These practices are better in a studio style setting. The method keeps you moving almost always, which can help you burn calories. They are offered with a group and practiced daily, if possible.
If you have a problem with time, practices don’t have to take long either. Numerous yoga instructors agree that it can be more effective to practice frequently for less amount of time than having fewer longer sessions. 15-30-minute sessions are ample time for one yoga routine. Know more about yoga training plans.
Here are some yoga accessories for your training and exercises:
- Tools To Improve Posture
- Best Scents For Yoga and Meditation
- Mats For Jumping Rope Every Yoga Enthusiasts Should Have
>>>Related articles that you may like:
- How To Build A Yoga Trapeze Stand At Home: A DIY Guide
- Can You Do Yoga And Pilates On The Same Day?
- What Are The Uses Of Rectangular Yoga Bolsters?
- How To Use Yoga Blocks And Straps For Home Exercises
- Is Yoga Covered By Health Insurance? Why It Should
Yoga extends further than the mat. By being consistent with your practice, you will be able to achieve more than just physical goals. I hope that this article has answered your question – “How many times a week should you do yoga for a calmer mind, for physical core strength, and weight loss?”. I hope you will apply the different techniques discussed in this article and pay it forward to your beginner yogi friends. Namaste.