The causes of scoliosis are often not known. It is more common in females than in males. A few people who have this condition need simple treatment, and some might need surgeries depending on its severity and some factors. A lot of people associate scoliosis with a bad posture. Can you get scoliosis from bad posture? Let’s find out in this article.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a disorder better known as an abnormal curvature of the spine typically curves into a ‘C’-shape or ‘S’-shape when looked at from the back. It can appear at any age, but it often starts from the age of 10 to 12 years or during the teenage years. The primary reasons for this condition are mostly unknown, but some cases are linked to cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, or a congenital disability.
Here are some posture correction guides to help improve your posture:
Can You Get Scoliosis from Bad Posture?
The most common type of scoliosis is the so-called idiopathic scoliosis that usually occurs when people begin going through puberty. Nobody knows for sure why people get it, but research shows that it is caused by genetics.
Things like carrying a heavy backpack neither cause idiopathic scoliosis, as well as bad posture, playing sports, or anything else that you do. Can you get scoliosis from bad posture? In reality, you don’t have control over whether you get scoliosis because it is in your genes.
Scoliosis does not also come from types of sports involvement, sleeping positions, posture, or minor leg length differences. It is medically validated that the spine curve is genetically inclined, and not caused by some external forces for the spine to curve, like poor posture or carrying of heavy backpacks.
Because of the genetic nature of this condition, external non-evasive treatment like proper management and exercise will neither be successful in curing it. Surgery is not also necessary unless the degree of curvature is severe. More often, people with mild scoliosis do not experience back pain as a result of the curvature.
Though bad posture doesn’t cause scoliosis, it can still have a very harmful effect on your general health, so it is still not right for you. Sitting with a slouch or in any other bad posture does not lead to scoliosis but causes pain in your back, neck, shoulder, and arm, and may affect your blood circulation. So you can’t get scoliosis from bad posture.
Can Scoliosis Be Treated?
Scoliotic patients who have a mild curve does not necessarily need treatment. The doctor will recommend following up every four to six months to monitor the spine’s curve and periodically with X-rays. There are doctor’s considerations when deciding on treatment options, depending on the age and severity. But there are some conventional treatments other than surgery.
- Casting. Casting is usually done with infants who were diagnosed or susceptible to have scoliosis. It is used in infantile scoliosis, to help the infant’s spine retain its normal position while growing. This treatment is done with a cast made of plaster attached outside of the patient’s body and will be worn all the time. The cast is changed regularly because of the rapid growth of infants.
- Braces. If a person has moderate scoliosis and the bones are still growing, the doctor may treat it with a brace to prevent further curvature. But take note that it will not cure or reverse it, it will just prevent further damage. Braces are also usually worn all the time because the more hours per day the patient wears it, the more effective it will be. Often, there are no movement restrictions with braces. If the child wishes to join in some physical activity, the braces can also be taken off. Alignment Is Important – Be mindful of how your body is aligned. It is important that whenever you bend your knee, you don’t overshoot past your toes or bend too far. Remember, if you feel any pain, don’t push it. It’s your body telling you to take it easy.
- Chiropractic treatment. The chiropractor relieves the pain and discomfort of scoliosis by manipulating the spine and providing alternative therapies. They maintain the realigning of the spine to promote healing and well-being; however, it is not a cure. It can help scoliotic patients to feel better, but it does not resolve the curvature of the spine. It is also vital to visit a chiropractor who specializes in scoliosis because getting chiropractic treatment from a non-specialist can make symptoms worse.
>>Related articles that you may like:
- What To Look For In Getting Gearari Posture Correctors
- What Is The Best Posture Corrector For Women
- How Long Do You Need To Wear A Posture Corrector?
- What Are The Uses Of Top-Rated Posture Correctors
- Can Bad Posture Cause Numbness In The Back?
Bad posture, slouching, wrong sleeping position, or carrying heavy backpacks does not cause scoliosis. It is caused by genetics. Those Individuals with severe forms of scoliosis may have physical limitations. To help manage your scoliosis, seeking out a support group, or getting the correct treatment may help you a lot. But if you ask, can you get scoliosis from bad posture? The answer is no. Always keep in mind having proper posture, though.