Can Bad Posture Cause Numbness In The Back?
Can bad posture cause numbness in back muscles or the spine? It is no secret that a bad posture can cause back pain. Prolonged slouching or hunching over can stiffen or weaken your back muscles. If you have this problem, you probably have already tried several attempts to sit or stand properly to correct it. Often it leaves you in more pain because your muscles are working double time at a position it isn’t used to.
But numbness is a different story. Numbness can come from slouched shoulders that restrict nerves and blood vessels in the lower neck. It can come from sleeping in an awkward position or sitting in poor posture for a long time that can pinch your nerves. A bad posture can damage the nerves, but don't be alarmed! There are several ways to treat it at home, and it can be corrected.
See The Signs Of Bad Posture
It’s great that you’re taking steps to fix your posture today! Acknowledging that you need to fix your poor posture is the first step. Next, we can avoid numbness in the back by figuring out what triggers it. Remember, it isn’t always because a person is sluggish to sit up straight or too tired to stand up properly.
First, take a look at yourself in the mirror. Try to spot the difference. You can also ask a partner to help you out. Relax and be in the right mindset before checking this list:
- When standing straight, is one shoulder higher than the other?
- When in a relaxed position, does your head often tilt to one side?
- Is your head more forward instead of neutral?
- Do you have rounded shoulders?
- When sitting down, does your upper body tilt forward?
- When sitting down, do you sit with your weight more on one side?
If you ticked yes to some of these points, these are probably the causes of your neck, back and shoulder pains. So, can bad posture cause numbness in back because of these? Most likely, the points above are common signs of poor posture and can be avoided by correcting how you sit or stand.
Home Remedies To Treat Numbness In The Back
Sometimes all it takes is a lifestyle change and nothing medically drastic. Bad posture can be corrected with a few simple tricks and home treatments. It takes practice and discipline. These home-care tips can help you on your way to correct your posture and avoid numbness in the back because of a pinched nerve:
- Sleep - The body naturally heals itself during sleep. The numbness can go away if your body is more relaxed and well-rested. Find a good position that relieves any pressure on the pinched nerve.
- Change your posture - It will take some time to get used to, but correcting how you sit and stand can help alleviate unnecessary stress on the nerves. Use pillows, adjustable chairs, and head or neck rest.
- Ergonomic Tools - Invest in ergonomic equipment such as an ergonomic keyboard and mouse.
- Yoga - The stretching exercises of yoga can help relieve the tension.
- Massage - Applying very gentle pressure can help alleviate tension.
- Active Lifestyle - A change in lifestyle can do wonders for the body. Sometimes all it needs is a little bit of exercise. You can do yoga poses or even go swimming. Choose light exercises that can help the body move.
Remember that numbness due to pinched nerves are temporary and are treatable at home. The next time you ask yourself, “can bad posture cause numbness in back?” You can recall these simple tips and see if it helps lessen the stress on the nerve. If you experience any pain or discomfort in doing the tips above, consult a doctor immediately.
Simple Yoga Poses For Beginners To Correct Your Posture
Treating your body to a few minutes of exercises a day can help correct your posture. You have to understand that your spine is a host of multiple nerves sitting between your vertebrae. That tingling or numbing sensation is a sign that you may need to stretch it out and relieve some stress.
But if you’re not one to sweat it out, a few minutes of these poses every morning and before you go to bed can help alleviate or reverse back pain. Here are a few yoga exercises that can help you stretch your back muscles:
- Vajrasana - Sit down on your legs with your heels touching your bottom. Hold this pose for two minutes. You will find yourself trying to sit and balance properly.
- Bhadrasana - Now, sit down with your legs apart and the feet touching each other. Relax your neck, head, and spine. Hold this position for as long as you can. You will notice that your body is slowly aligning.
- The Cobra Pose - Lay on your stomach with your forehead resting on the floor. Press the top half of your feet against the floor, and your hands should be underneath your shoulders. Take a deep breath and lift your head and chest off the floor. Hold this pose for a few seconds, then exhale while lowering yourself back to the ground.
Later on, when you feel more comfortable, you can add more yoga poses or lengthen the time for each pose. The next time you grab your back in pain and ask yourself, “Can bad posture cause numbness in back?”, maybe you will remember these simple tips and home treatments the next time. It takes a lot of practice, but in time you will get used to it. Don’t forget to make it fun for you, too! Get more tips on good posture.
How can bad posture cause numbness in back? Well, now you know that even the littlest things can cause a pinched nerve. By making some changes to your workspace, home environment, personal habits, and lifestyle, you can significantly decrease numbness and pain on your back because of poor posture.
As you begin to incorporate these tips and treatments into your daily life, remember to take it easy on yourself. Make each scenario fun and less stressful for you. Ultimately, you’ll feel better and have great posture, too!
April 3, 2021
by: Craig Elsworth
Having a good posture can help keep your joints and bones aligned. This way, your joints can be strengthened, and you can avoid any discomfort or pains on your joints or your back.
April 1, 2021
by: Maureen Tillis
Will yoga fix my posture? It definitely can. Yoga is an amazing way to relieve stress and pain from your body, and in addition, can help fix posture problems.